In the run-up to the christmas period, it's quite unusual to be pleasantly surprised by the postal service. Especially when international mail is concerned.
Opening the package, a nice shiny new/old speedometer - from France of all places, in especially fast time - I only ordered it about a week ago, and only got the shipping notification yesterday - impressive.
In the course of this build, I've noticed a lot of Ducati single equipment for sale in the States (several parts, including the headlight came from the US). Now, perhaps it's a comment on my observational skills, but I've not noticed a lot of spares coming from continental Europe.
But no matter, it appeared on ebay a week or two back, and will nicely replace the (near identical) one that I have at the moment. The one I have, although I managed to dissassemble, clean it and re-lubricate the mechanism, it still tends to be a bit sticky. This exaggerates the speed greatly, and also still indicates 20mph+ for a few minutes after I've finished pushing it from the garage to the workshed.
In a way - it's quite nice to build the bike, with a speedo starting at 00001
Also worth noting at this point that I did previously have a cunning plan of provisioning the bike with a modern LED/LCD speed, like the one below, which, although the diameter of the unit is ever so slightly less than the cutout in the headlight shell, I'd figured out how to make it fit. It would have required a 12v conversion though, and would have cost two or three times as much. Assuming that the new speedo works, then I can leave the bike on 6v for the time being, and carry on with the renovation.